Friday, April 27, 2007

The Campaign

As I mentioned earlier, these days I've been trying a different approach to dating.

In the past, I've treated it like a job search: be aggressive. Make it known that you want the job / guy. Don't wait for THEM to call you -- if you want to talk to that person, pick up the phone.

Well -- that approach doesn't seem to be working these days. To steal a line from my friend "4": if I had a dollar for every second date I've had this year -- I'd have two ... no, ONE, exactly one dollar! That, my friends, is quite sad.

Like George Costanza, I now need to try the OPPOSITE of everything I've been doing wrong. Don't initiate dates -- let them suggest. Take your time calling / e-mailing them back. And -- this is the hardest for me, since I love to plan -- let them suggest the bar / restaurant / coffee shop. Oy.

I'm coming up with some catchy names for this campaign -- feel free to add your own! The person who comes up with the wittiest name will get a very special mention here ... maybe even in bold! What an honor!

Here's what I have so far:

F.L.I.R.T: First, Let 'Im Really Try

D.A.T.E: Don't Act Too Eager

S.T.O.P.: Stay Tough on Principles

The last one courtesy of my friends at dinner last night, as we sweated over deliciously spicy Thai food. Another alternative to the last acronym was "Stop Succumbing to Overwhelming Promiscuity" -- but I'm actually having the opposite problem these days (ie, lack of action), so that one won't work.

On the agenda for the weekend:

* a date with the ever-elusive AdMan! This is after eons of e-mails -- the suspense is maddening.

* possible drinks and overall rowdiness with the adorable Cute Jewess and company! Perhaps to be joined by the sexy Portuguese dish and his friends?

5 comments:

Cute Jewess said...

Oooh, that D.A.T.E. one is particularly clever!!! You could even have Just Don't Act Too Eager for JDATE. Hee.

How about G.U.Y.: Give Up Yearning

L.I.G.H.T.: Let It Go. His Turn.

F.E.M.A.L.E.: Friggin' Email Me, Annoying Loser. Errr....

Loverville said...

BRILLIANT!!! Those are fricking great!!! Man, you're good!

Leigh (the DFMer) said...

Cool post. But aren't you basically describing "the rules"? (i.e. playing hard to get). Nothing wrong with that, if it works for you. I'll be interested to see if it does.

I find the strategy that works for me is push-pull... so you alternate between showing you care and acting indifferent.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading more.

Loverville said...

Leigh -- exactly! I've always been anti-rules. But I hate to admit, maybe there's something to it?

I know, what I'm doing is hardly revolutionary -- it's just difficult for ME! I'll certainly try the push-pull strategy as well.

a&v said...

Ha! I love these acronyms! Having just escaped work, I am not clever enough to join in at the moment. BUT may the suspense with AdMan pay off!