Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Date #87: Worldly Guy

Worldly Guy and I have been e-mailing for quite a while now, and finally met for a first date tonight. He had several pics on his J-date profile in various international locales – but his main pic was a bit scary looking. Still – I liked the way he came across in his e-mails, and decided he was worth an hour and a glass of wine, at the very least.

I wasn’t disappointed – he resembled the better-looking version of his pics, which is always a rare and pleasant surprise. We had lots to talk about – we’ve traveled to a lot of the same locations. Made plans to get together again for a favorite Japanese street food “one of these days”. And I was off, with a chaste kiss on the cheek. It would be nice to hear from him again, but I’m not as worked up as I was after my six-hour date with Witty Banter – who, incidentally, has dropped off the face of the earth. Asshat.

Earlier today, I had a session with my therapist -- it’s become routine to talk about my dates of the previous week. I mentioned that I ended my night on Saturday with Sweet Tall Guy asking to get together the following night, but then never called – my therapist was incredulous that someone would bother asking if he didn’t mean it. I tried to convey that this is quite routine, and that I’ve had to lower my expectations in recent years to avoid disappointment.

It’s true – WHY give the impression that you’re so into someone, when you have no intention of following up? Are these guys just caught up in the moment? (OK, women do this as well). I’m sure the reasons are endless.
***********
Over the weekend, I talked to a new guy on the phone – let’s call him Blah Blah Blah. Man, this guy provided soliloquies over the phone – he barely came up for air, and I’m sure he didn’t gauge that I’d lost interest about he blah’d on for about 10 minutes straight.

Normally, I’d still give someone like this a chance – after all, maybe he was just nervous? But I’m thinking I have to go with my gut – it’s a rare time indeed that I’ll get that negative vibe by phone, but actually like the guy in person. Nope – bad phone almost always = no vibe on date. He followed up by e-mail today, asking if I’d like to get together this week. I’m wondering if I should take the typical guy response – ie, no response at all. We’ll see.

On a happy note: on my way home from my date with Worldly Guy, I passed my favorite pizzeria, and was tempted to pop in for a slice, though I wasn’t particularly hungry. Instead, I soldiered on and had a slice of whole wheat toast and an apple when I got home. 120’s, here I come!

8 comments:

sexagenarian and the city said...

i love the name Blah Blah Blah.
i met someone like that in january -- he was a monologuer over the phone and a monologuer over dinner...but the food at the turkish restaurant was great.

sexagenarian and the city said...

ps
x [my recent one] has turned out to be like Adventure Dude....

a&v said...

Well, if my experience with the "no response" technique holds true, Blah Blah Blah will probably follow up his email invite with a rambling request by phone. :)

Cute Jewess said...

Hmmm, I have to say I'm stymied too about why the guy would seem so into you--and I was there! And he did!--but then fall off the face of the planet. But if the guy actually says let's get together tomorrow? I mean...yes, very confusing. He must have meant it at the time, I think. Then again, when there's drinking, and it's late at night, you never know if he's just trying to get the one-night stand.

I would be more worked up about it than you--but I have a feeling that with more dating experience, I might learn some sorry truths too.

Grumble.

jgo said...

Hey ladies... consider this. Party dude walked you home, ASKED to come upstairs, you said no and then you never heard from him. Perhaps he only wanted one thing?

bailey said...

I have no concept of why guys (1) ask for your phone number if they have no intention of calling (2) get specific about a pseudo-plan without following up (3) well, I could go on and on, of course.

I will say, take the high road and do not go the guy way of no response to blah blah blah. Put it out in the world the way you want to be treated and it will come back to you,--stay the good one!

Anonymous said...

Here's another thought about why a guy would seem all excited about meeting you, walk you home, and make immediate plans for the next night, only to fall off the face of the earth - maybe he has a girlfriend, albeit not one he's really into. He may have had a great time with you, enjoyed the non-committal evening he spent with you, but then when he sobered up, literally and mentally, and gotten a whiff of guilt, he decided he could never keep up the charade. I say this because it's happened to me...twice!

acaligurl said...

happy weekend. :)