Saturday, August 18, 2007

The roster is growing

After a few days of contacting new guys, and writing back to guys who had previously written to me, there are six new possibilities on the line. I use the expression “possibilities” very loosely – anyone who has tried internet dating probably knows that it’s easy to have a barrage of back-and-forth e-mails with a seemingly good connection, only to have the other person disappear on you.

For now, all these guys are still in the e-mail stage, with a few numbers exchanged – except Cute Dork, who I’m meeting for the first time this weekend. I’m using “Dork” in a positive way – he seems intelligent, in a nerdy kind of way. The kind of guy who would have just been a buddy in high school, but now I find quite attractive. But from our phone conversation, it also seemed like he teeters on the edge of socially awkward -- I’ll know more after our date. He’ll be Date #96 (for new readers, that means he’s the 96th guy I’ll have dated since my last serious relationship ended two and a half years ago).

Wow – 100 is just around the corner! The Century of Dating! Any suggestions on how to celebrate / observe this occasion?

Oh – UN is still in the picture. I’m seeing him as well this weekend, though it looks like we’ll only have a chance to have a daytime date. Not quite as sexy as nighttime, but still, a good opportunity to get to know him better.

Speaking of sexy – well, to be blunt – there’s been no “SexyTime” since This Guy back in May. And let’s just say, a girl* has her needs! (*rather, a 30-something woman) On one hand, I’d like to wait til there’s someone with whom it would be meaningful… on the other hand, I’m contemplating a fling. I don’t have a fling candidate right now… but I’m keeping my eyes open.

Who knows… maybe if things develop with UN in the coming weeks…

6 comments:

a&v said...

A fling is looking mighty tempting to me, too! Remember, my last serious relationship ended in February. February!!

Butch said...

I'm contemplating a fling.

Well, you've been looking for a way to celebrate/observe #100...

jgo said...

Sleep with #100 no matter who he is.

Ok that may be bad advice. So maybe try to make #100 a good one and then sleep with him.

walt said...

Wow, 96 dates - that's mind-blowing. How do you feel about it? Depressing, or fun? Do you have any catch-all theory as to why none have resulted in anything long-term? Maybe you're searching for perfection? Maybe Match guys are just looking for NSA sex?

I've tried the Match thing a few times, and each time met someone in the first 3-5 dates that I ended up spending 3-4 months with on an exclusive basis. The current "candidate" may be the long-term keeper!

Fool's Gold said...

I'm partial of course, being a guy (excuse me, gentleman) but I'd like to hear about the fling if you have one.

More to the point, I would be happy to be a participant. I could email you a resume; references available upon request.

Loverville said...

Even if #100 turned out to be a great guy, I just couldn't sleep with him on a first date... that's just not me.

It's hard to find that happy medium -- someone to have a NSA fling with, but it's not entirely meaningless either. Maybe this guy I dated 10 years ago, and with whom I had a fun "reunion" in Miami last year...

Walt: as far as none of the guys working long-term? Two of those guys I dated for four months... and there were others I would have liked to have gotten to know better, but the feeling wasn't mutual. And vice versa.

I think that as I've gotten older, I've developed a much stronger sense of what I like and don't like... in the end, I guess I'm just pickier.

To be honest, I feel kind of neutral about that number! (96, and counting) It averages out to about one new date a week, which is nothing in internet dating! Incidentally, I'm on both Match and J-date.

Fool's gold... well... e-mail me... loverville@gmail.com.