Sunday, October 21, 2007

Sunday weigh-in... and um, my "boyfriend" (???)

Good news: I managed to lose 2.4 lbs this past week, bringing me back to my most recent low weight of 132.8 – big celebration! (confirms that last week’s gain was indeed most likely due to PMS – thanks for all your knowing words of support!).

Now – got to keep this loss moving along. 130 is a big hurdle I haven’t crossed in years, so that’s my current goal – to jump that hurdle!

It’s been a fun weekend, with lots of TC time. We enjoyed a rather elegant dinner out last night, with both of us drinking a bit too much – wine pairings can be fun, but dangerous! But WOW, did he look dapper, all dressed up!

Towards the end of the night, in a slightly inebriated state, I asked TC how I should introduce him today – I was bringing him to an event where he was likely to meet some of my friends. At first he joked, what about “gentleman caller”? Or “lov-ah” – but you have to say it like that, “LOV-AH”! (yes, he's the joking type) He soon admitted that recently, in conversations with some of his friends, it felt natural for him to refer to me as his “girlfriend”, since we’ve already established that we’re only dating one another, and he’s “enjoying the progression of the relationship”.

As far as that last line -- at least I THINK that's what he said! I know he used the word “relationship”, and even in the moment, I found myself wishing I had a tape recorder so I could remember exactly what he was saying. Damn wine, doing fuzzy things to the memory!

Today at the event, when the moment came for me to introduce him to a group of friends (acquaintances, really), I quickly said, “This is my boyfriend, [TC]”. (I had to say it quickly, for fear that I'd choke on the words!) I’m not sure how much he remembered of last night’s conversation, but he didn’t seem at all fazed by the intro. I’m not sure if I’m really ready to jump into full “boyfriend / girlfriend” jargon (we’ve only been dating a little over a month), but I think if we ease into it like a warm bath, that will be the most natural way to go.

It’s been in the back of my mind: when / how to tell him about the blog? This blog has been an amazing source of catharsis for me these past 10 months – when I was having my most depressing and frustrating dating experiences, I found out through reader comments (and other bloggers) that I’m certainly not alone in these feelings. And I even made a Real Live Friend though our blogs, Cute Jewess.

I think I’ll know when the time is right – and it’s not just yet. TC is a pretty open-minded and laid-back guy (two of the many things I like about him)… and I sense that he’ll be nonplussed when I tell him about the blog. Eventually.

11 comments:

Dating Trooper - Dating is Warfare said...

Yay! Big news.. love the warm bath analogy. Perfect! As for telling him about the blog, you definitely should (if you plan on continuing it and not cutting it off). When you do tell him, I suggest making it really clear that the blog is about YOU, not the guys and not a place to rip your date to shreds. That was my focus with WG and I'm sticking to it!

sexagenarian and the city said...

This is sounding very good; i'm very happy for you. i followed dating trooper in telling
'performer' about the blog, but i didn't rush the confession. it was well after -- maybe a few weeks after -- he said 'i love you' the first time. perhaps better to hear those words before you spill the beans about the blog! after all, *he* doesn't know how long you've been wondering when to tell him. i think i'd known P about 7 weeks or so; by now he has completely lost interest in it. it's much more interesting to Us than it is to Them. it's like overhearing girltalk....

Samantha said...

Congratulations on TC!!! That's fabulous news! I don't think you have to tell him immediately. Telll him when you are ready. I think a blog is like a diary, so you don't have to share it with a boy right off the bat.

In other news - congrats on the weight loss! May I ask what you are doing in terms of workout and diet?

Loverville said...

Thanks for the good warm wishes and advice, everyone!

Samantha: I just try to step up the workouts whenever I can. Also, I recently read a book called "Mindless Eating", by Brian Wansink, about the psychology of why we overeat (and nosh).

To be honest, I haven't been very consistent lately about my eating and workouts (hence the yo-yo-ing)... must be more, well, mindful!

Heather said...

I'm so excited for you! I think this is wonderful...and going at a pace that you are both comfortable with!

How did your surprise dinner go? I didn't miss that update, did I?

And great job on the weight loss-feels great, doesn't it?

londongirl said...

OOOOHH YOU HAVE A BOYFRIEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's fab. Delighted for you.

And don't tell him just yet. And when you do - I'd definitely underplay it. It's not as big a deal for him as it is for you, I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

Yeeesh, the blog is basically all of your feelings right on your sleeve, disappointments, mistakes, breakthroughs, etc. I like what sexagenarian said, perhaps share it after the I love yous. But, here's the thing, people sometimes make the mistake of thinking they have to be soooo honest withthe one they're dating, and that they're holding back if they don't put all their feelings on the table. Here's a question, would you tell him about some of your dating past, like the I-slept-with-him-too-soon moments, if it wasn't in this blog? What's it gonna prove?

Anonymous said...

I would NOT NOT tell him. If you ever do tell him, tell after you are married with kids but don't let him read it.....ever. It will do you no good. I agree it's like saying "Here honey, read my diary." Why would you do that to yourself?!!!!!

Anonymous said...

It's great news - and please keep blogging even if you become all boyfriended-up!
I tend to agree about not making a big deal of it, and NOT letting him read it. It is like letting him read your diary or transcripts of your chats with girlfriends.
London Girl

Anonymous said...

It would be very, very stupid to tell him. In fact, I'd be prepared to bet $100 that he will end the relationship if he finds out about what you've already written. You should do yourself a favor and wrap up the blogging career. If you really need an outlet, try a diary, a group of friends or a shrink.

a&v said...

Woo hoo! This is such big news and it all sounds very good and so exciting! As for the blog reveal ... I'd just wait and see. Some people can handle that kind of news and some people can't.