Friday, October 12, 2007

What's cookin', good lookin'?

(I know... cheesey subject line! Has anyone said that since 1972?)
It’s been a fun-filled week – a few nights out with friends, a dance class, a movie – but in the back of my mind, I’m counting down the days until TC is back in town. The wait is agonizing!

I knew it would be good for us to have a bit of time apart – after all, we spent half of last week together. I feel that we talked and e-mailed just the “right” amount this week – little enough to still have some time to miss each other, yet constant enough to still maintain a connection. We already have some fun plans lined up for next week.

This is big! I’m planning on surprising him by cooking dinner for him one night next week. I’m only an occasional, albeit enthusiastic, cook. Once I came up with the crazy idea to cook dinner, I got excited: researching recipes, thinking about what type of wine to include… so much criteria to consider! The meal shouldn’t be too heavy… not too labor-intensive (definitely don’t want to spend the whole night in the kitchen)… and certainly nothing that could induce, well, gaseous anomalies.

Any menu suggestions?

2 comments:

londongirl said...

something like a pasta bake that you can shove in the oven and forget about can work - served with a good salad.

For pudding, I'm a fan of a version of eton mess - crushed merengues, red fruit, cream and fruit puree over the top. Looks particularly impressive in a glass bowl.

That's my tuppence worth, anyway.

sexagenarian and the city said...

whatever you decide, make it something you've cooked before, so you don't have any unfortunate surprises (e.g. the recipe known as Chicken Fiasco); make it easy for you, so you don't spend all day on it; ask TC first if he has any food 'issues' like allergies or strong dislikes; and avoid strong flavors that neither of you would enjoy on the other one's breath.
so: that's advice on everything except What To Cook....