Thursday, December 20, 2007

Flirt

Probably my last post til next year – happy holidays, everyone!

I really should be packing for my trip – but I’m such a procrastinator when it comes to packing. It takes me hours – I need to research the local weather, figure out how many casual / dressy items I’ll need, determine what kind of “active” clothing I’ll need (will there be swimming? Hiking? Snorkeling?), remember to pack the iPod charger, cell charger, camera battery charger, local adaptor… I’m exhausted just thinking about it!

It’s been nearly a week since TC went out of town – we exchanged a few messages and e-mails, but only managed to connect on the phone today. He sounded strangely distant, and when I asked if everything was OK, he gave the old chestnut that he was tired. I still have that nagging feeling that he’s having doubts about us – but since I’m about to go out of town as well (for a few weeks), I need to just hit the “pause” button and accept that there’s nothing I can do right now.

Actually, I’ve had a bit of a distraction from TC of late. I have a good friend who has fabulous parties on a regular basis – at one of these parties about a year ago, I met one of her guy friends (let’s call him Flirt) who I thought was quite cute and charming. I also met his girlfriend at that same party, so needless to say, I immediately wrote him off as potential date material.

Fast forward: about a month ago, we ran into each other at another party, and he seemed, well, quite flirty. I learned that he and his girlfriend had broken up, but as I had heard stories about his amorous exploits on a recent vacation, I just assumed he was flirty with every woman he encountered. (Not that I would have taken him up on any potential offers anyway, as I was quite happy with TC).

Post-party, Flirt sent a few flirty messages (aka, Superpokes) via Facebook – I “Superpoked” back with more chaste messages. I must admit, the attention was somewhat flattering (even if it seems like he flirts with everyone) – especially in light of not feeling so much attention from TC.

Fast forward a bit more: another party, this past weekend. Flirt was there – TC was not. Flirt was definitely noticeably flirty. He’d pull me close in a group picture, he’d make sure I had a drink, and in a self-timer picture, he planted a big kiss on my cheek. I must admit, the attention was quite flattering. However -- even if I were single, I don’t think he’d be boyfriend material – but it was a fun, innocent distraction from my TC angst.

It should be pretty obvious on these pages that I really want things to work out with TC. But would it help to cushion the blow a bit if I had a (possible) fling to fall back on if we were to break up? Maybe. Let’s not think about that right now.

Happy Holidays! Here's hoping for less angst on these pages in '08!

7 comments:

midnite99 said...

Hang in there...Whatever happens will happen, and all you can do is continue to be your fabulous self. I hope that absence is making TC's heart grow fonder, but either way, you had a lot of fun while it was happening. And if it doesn't work out, you'll have a lot of fun with someone new, whether it's a fling with Flirt or something more serious with someone else. Have a fabulous trip! See ya next year.

sexagenarian07.wordpress.com said...

happy winter solstice to you LV or whatever you celebrate. as you may have noticed from my blog, my romance fell apart Very Abruptly, but i'm now incredibly relieved that it did. best of luck to all of us in the new year. look forward to reading more of your adventures. mimi

Dating Trooper - Dating is Warfare said...

Travel safe and have a terrific time! One question to ponder...Are you "not single" right now? I don't know, do you have a ring on that finger? I'm not saying to cheat on TC, but just don't rule anything out. Especially if you are feeling some iffy vibes on the boyfriend front - that's your gut talking and trust me, you should pay attention to your gut just a little. Either way, put it ALL on pause and have a wonderful vacation. "See you" in 2008!

Samantha said...

Right now things with TC are out of your control. The only thing you have control over is yourself. So definitely hit that pause button and have a fantabulous trip. Travel safely and I can't wait to hear about it when you get back! Happy New Year!

a&v said...

I'm wondering the same thing as Trooper ... and I also hope things work out with TC. Vibes are tricky, though--it seems that every time I have them, I'm right. (Though maybe I just tend to do the "self-fulfilling prophecy'/jinx thing.)

Have a fabulous trip and happy holidays!

Loverville said...

Good questions. Not really sure how to answer those! TC and I haven't gone as far as to consider ourselves "on a break" now... but if there was a chance for a vacation fling...? Who knows? Flirting is one thing, but to take action is something else.

However, I don't think I'd be able to handle the guilt that would go along with a fling... after all, if I knew about HIM having a fling while we were apart, I wouldn't be very happy about it!

We had a very nice chat tonight, and I was feeling a bit more of the "old" TC back. Vamos a ver!

Happy New Year!

acaligurl said...

safe travels.
happiest of holidays 2 u!