Monday, February 4, 2008

Party: YES. Speeddating: NO. Giants: YES!

Party:
Went to a kick-ass house party last night with a bunch of friends, hosted by a (very) casual acquaintance, T, in his new downtown loft. Lots of beautiful, interesting, friendly people.

Sidenote: at this guy T’s last party over the summer, I exchanged numbers with three different guys.
Guy #1: never heard from him.
Guy #2: texted me the next day, asked if I was free for a drink that night – I wasn’t, but texted back, how about later in the week? He texted: he couldn’t plan that far in advance – four hours was already difficult for him. Needless to say, we never communicated after that.
Guy #3: walked me home, and we smooched along the way. At that moment, he was eager about getting together for brunch the next day – never heard from him again.

Funnily enough – ran into Guys #1 and #3 last night. Guy #1 recognized me (on line for the bathroom) before I realized who he was – he said something like, “remember me? We exchanged numbers, but never contacted each other.” Me: “oh, yes…”. The bathroom became available, I told him I’d catch up with him later, and that was that.

Guy #3: saw him in the lobby as I was leaving – he was with a very drunk girl. I decided to have a little fun, and said, “hey, weren’t you at T’s party over the summer?”. He smiled, and said, “yeahhh!”, very clearly recognizing me. Some small talk, and I left.

While at the party, I chatted with a cute guy who recently moved here from California (I probably wouldn’t have talked to him if it weren’t for my friend C, who practically nudged me into his arms – from now on, she’ll be known on these pages as WW: WingWoman). I offered to share some of my “secret” city spots with him, and we exchanged numbers. There was just something very appealing about him… here’s hoping I hear from him!

Speeddating:
I had signed up for a speeddating event last year, but had to cancel at the last minute. I’m still on this particular company’s mailing list, so when they sent an offer for me to speeddate tonight for free (they were short a few women), I decided to give it a shot.

Caveat: it was Super Bowl Sunday.

I really couldn’t care less about football, and had no plans for the occasion – I was really curious to see what kind of guys would also be disinterested in perhaps the biggest sports night of the year.

Oy vey. I found out: not the kind of guys I want to date.

The age range for guys was supposed to be 35 - 48 -- most of the guys were well on the upper end of that, with one guy probably pushing mid-50s.

Talking to them, most were perfectly nice, even somewhat interesting. But looks-wise? The very opposite of whatever “type” I might have. From the big, bearded guy in the big sweater, to the eccentric aging-rocker guy, to the super-thinning-hair / droopy-eyed guy. There was no one I was remotely attracted to – I’ll leave it at that.

Super Bowl:
As I was walking home, I popped into a packed bar where the Super Bowl was in its last minute -- it was actually fun watching the excitement of the crowd, as I chatted with the sweet and cute (though not really my type) bouncer. Stayed for the end of the game – I enjoyed watching everyone hug and high-five each other.

THAT was the highlight of the night – it means nothing to me that the Giants won, but I’m happy for people like my stepfather who will be thrilled. It was one of those exciting New York moments that I love.

Plenty of Fish / POF update:
After weeding through lot of cheesiness, I have my first POF date planned for later this week with a guy I’ll call Good Voice, for obvious reasons. Had our first phone conversation today, and so far I like what I’m hearing. He’s a little outside my usual age range – I generally cap it at about 5 years older than me, and this guy is 8 years older – but he’s incredibly active, and is probably in far better shape than I am. I’m really curious to see what he looks like – one pic is promising, the other less so. As always -- wait and see!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

You could have tried out SpeedDate.com. At least then you can SpeedDate from home!

midnite99 said...

Sounds like a fun weekend! And good luck with GV. :)