Saturday, April 5, 2008

When it rains, it truly pours

Good Voice updates for this week – brace yourself, some big developments here!
1. I took him out for his birthday (you knew that was coming)
2. I met his teenage son (I can hear a collective, “I didn’t know he had a son!”. Details to follow)
3. We’re going away for (part of) the weekend.
4. I’m really falling in “like” with this guy.

Starting with the birthday: he was wowed by the royal treatment we received at the cozy new restaurant I had chosen (my friend knows the owner, put in the good word for me). I partially ignored your advice, and had compiled a small bag of gifts – nothing extravagant – a book I knew he would like, as well as some silly, some kitschy little gifts. He was very touched by this – said the whole evening made him feel special. (I’m feeling all warm and fuzzy and smiley just thinking about the night!)

Other big development – meeting his son. I mentioned earlier, GV is a few years older than I am – and yes, he has a teenage son. On one of our early dates, I heard him talking to his son on the phone – the warmth and love in his voice was very endearing.

A few hours before GV and I were to go out for his birthday, he casually e-mailed me, asking if I’d like to meet at his place – and I could meet GV Jr., who would be there that night.

I immediately got so nervous, I developed a stomachache and actually felt a bit queasy for much of the afternoon (it’s a good thing I don’t get nervous all that often, since there’s the problem of this terrible side effect!). Lots of deep breaths as I took the elevator up to his place. And I met him – a sweet, good-looking, polite, just plain normal teenager. Some casual conversation about school and TV shows before GV and I left for dinner.

In the taxi to the restaurant, I told GV that I was touched and honored that he wanted me to meet his son. I really wish I could remember things as they’re said verbatim – in my nervousness it becomes a big blur – but he said something like, “well, that’s pretty indicative of how I feel about you”. Wow. (once again, I’m getting that lovely, giddy feeling as I’m sitting here typing, trying to recapture that moment!).

The next Big Thing: we’re going to a lovely B&B for part of the weekend, leaving tomorrow – our first time spending a significant chunk of time together. He chose the place, and I’m thrilled just thinking about it.

For the first time, I’m starting to allow myself to think, we may really have something here! He’s a wonderful, funny, smart, cute, vivacious guy – and he seems into me as well. I’m a little nervous about a longer-than-usual business trip I have coming up later this month, wondering what kind of effect a few weeks apart will have on our fledgling relationship. Will just have to enjoy the moments together until that time, and continue to hope for the best.

8 comments:

LC said...

Sweet and polite? That's not the normal kind of teenager! ;) But quite indicative of good parenting. All sounds so terrific - so happy for you!

a&v said...

This is fantastic! Very, very promising, I say. The business trip should be but a small hiccup in the greater scheme of things.

Heather said...

wow that's great! So glad you had a great time. It is a big deal that he wanted you to meet his kid! I hope good things come of all of this!
:)

mimi of 'sexagenarian and the city' said...

exciting news! i hope the weekend was wonderful. eager to hear more.

mimi of 'sexagenarian and the city' said...

got a call from plan c in the middle of leaving comment for you and forgot i'd already pressed 'publish' -- sorry!
please delete numbes 2 & 3 when you return from b & b.

Anonymous said...

can I just say wow? Everything sounds great. I love the fact that your blog is different, you meet guys than go on to explore a relationship, as opposed to just dating for dating's sake. Best of luck....jessica

Trish Ryan said...

Hmmm...sounds good all around! How did the weekend go???

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you! It lifts me up just reading about it. He sounds really great. That means a lot that you met his son. I hope you had a fantastic weekend with him. Can't wait to read more about it.

Mo :)