Sunday, February 22, 2009

Brief hiatus... and I'm back. (with date #123)

My -- it's only been two weeks since I last wrote, but it feels like ages.

Around that time, I started to feel incredibly apathetic towards dating -- I was just bored with it, and couldn't be bothered to put any time into endless internet searching, writing, chatting that would go nowhere.

That lasted about two weeks. I'm not sure what spurred it (maybe a story of a friend's great date?), but I re-signed up for J-date a week or so ago and jumped back on the wagon.

One of the first e-mails exchanged was with a guy I'll call Mr. Recurring -- his e-mail was waiting for me when I joined again, and I thought he looked familiar. Turns out he and I have been exchanging e-mails for a year and a half -- one of us would write just as the other got off the site, and vice versa.

This time, we finally got past that first e-mail -- subsequent e-mails revealed that we had a lot in common -- this led to a phone call, and a date this past weekend. (date #123)

It was a great date -- drinks, then dinner, then some lovely smooching outside my building. The conversation not only flowed, but it felt like there just wasn't enough time to talk about everything we wanted to talk about, with promises to continue all 50 unfinished convos at a future time. He joked more than once that this was a lovely way to celebrate our 18 month anniversary (since it's been that long since we first connected online).

By all accounts, a perfect first date, right? And yet -- I can't explain this feeling -- I just sense that I'm not going to hear from him. Don't get me wrong, I'd very much like to see him again, but at this point, I'm not convinced that's going to happen. Just a gut feeling.

It could be because, in the very small world of NYC dating, it turns out that my friend H had a friend of a friend who went out with Mr. R -- H wasn't sure of the details, or how many times they'd gone out -- but Mr. R pulled a disappearing act on her. That has planted the seed in my head that he's capable of such behavior.

Anyway, I have enough going on right now to distract me from thinking about him too much. I'm in Phase One (e-mail banter) with a few J-guys, as well as a date planned for this week with a Real Live Guy -- a friend of a friend who saw my picture in one of her Facebook albums and asked about me.

Ah yes, then there's the fun distraction of HS Guy -- we've gotten together a few times for this casual fling thing we have going on. While I'm not interested in him as a boyfriend, I do enjoy his company very much on a purely casual basis. (the fact that he has an absolutely hot body doesn't hurt).

2 comments:

Life On Edge. said...

Those disappearing acts are a strange thing aren't they? I suppose they happen when they is multidating and choice involved.

Dating Trooper said...

Welcome back to the dating world! Sounds like you got a running start. I hope your gut is wrong with this new guy, but it's smart to be on guard!