Saturday, April 4, 2009

A little bit of advice for the guys...

Guys -- if you're doing the online dating thing: not only should you NOT send an overly cheesy e-mail as your initial e-mail... you should not then cut and paste that very same e-mail to multiple women!

My friend A and I just realized that we each got this exact same e-mail from the same guy -- I referenced him some time ago, Red Flag Guy. Please comment if you've received this same e-mail as well! (next thing you know, he'll be e-mailing us about his bank account in Nigeria)

Hmmmm, someone would make my week if I heard from her, hint, hint:)

Those eyes and that smile are doing a serious number on me...!!

So listen, I figure we can elope and then have a small ceremony for our nearest and dearest...Is Paris too cliched for the elopement?:)

Beyond Smitten,
[Cheesy Guy]


Hilarious.

I have some guy updates for you, but it will have to wait til tomorrow. Hint: I'm starting to like two different guys, and am feeling a bit flummoxed over it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another bit of advice - Don't post a picture of yourself with your shirt off. I don't care what you look like, it's - bleh! and tacky.

mimi of 'sexagenarian and the city' said...

there's an older guy -- really older, in his mid-70s -- who has on THREE occasions sent me the same Extremely Long stupid email, word-for-word the same except one sentence (a description of the trees he sees from his window) that changes according to the season...

oh yes, it begins something like this: you are adorable, very smart, sensitive -- blah blah blah and a long string of flattering adjectives.

the 2nd and 3rd times i rec'd this message i reminded him that he'd sent it before.

at least i haven't gotten it a 4th time.

quel jerk.

Loverville said...

Mimi, that's happened to me too!

Even better: the guy with whom I had a lame date... he then wrote to me a year or so later, thinking it was our first contact. He'd completely forgotten that we'd already had a date!

Thai Girls said...

Definitely it’s not a good thing to send a same initial mail to multiple women inviting them to be your friend. You will get nothing out of it. One more thing to say, don't appear desperate.

walt said...

Guys may send the same email to multiple women because of the low response rate they are receiving, and the amount of work needed to compose an original email for each person they write to, which mostly goes unrewarded. Still, you should always include something in your email that indicates that you read the profile of the person you are writing to.

I also should point out that when I was doing online dating I received many "generic" emails from women that may have gone to multiple men, mostly lacking in any creativity.

Anonymous said...

So being uncreative is not a gender problem. Good point, Walt!

an anon who flamed you previously

TorontoSpeedDate.com said...

It's not surprising the guys use the same old lines to girls on online dating sites. They basically want to maximize the number of people responding to them and they think they have a "killer" way to do it. Unfortunately, it's just a figment of their imagination and women can see right through it. It's good advice but some people neglect to use it : just be yourself. And if it doesn't work on online sites, get out of the house and start meeting people!

Don't Be a Slut said...

It wouldn't be so bad if the form email weren't so compeletely godawful. I cracked up laughing, surely not his intent!