Saturday, October 10, 2009

Jim and Pam and dates #139 and #140

Did you catch Jim and Pam's wedding on "The Office" this week? I just watched it -- and I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I found myself bawling at the end. It was incredibly sweet -- and it hit home the fact that I really, really want to find that kind of love with someone. Yes, I know it's fictional. And yes, I know that no relationship is perfect. I'm just SO ready to meet someone amazing, and every so often, I just get tired of yet another failed date.

Whew -- with that rant over, let's recap the latest updates.

Date #139: Dr Foodie. Dr Foodie and I seemed to connect by email, then we had a very brief phone conversation -- he seemed a bit dry, but I was willing to take a shot. He was good-looking (in a clean-cut, boy-next-door way -- not my usual type), and the conversation flowed easily -- but there was just a certain warmth missing. When he said he had an early meeting and kissed me on the cheek goodnight, that pretty much sealed the deal that he wasn't interested. No big deal -- I would have gone on a second date with him, but wasn't exactly smitten.

Date #140: Mr Cool. While out with Mr Cool, I thought (for a second) about my date with Dr Foodie a few days earlier, and realized, "now THIS is what a great date feels like!".

Mr Cool was adorable, fun, funny, smart. And he seemed into me. We wandered all over the lower east side and the village, popping into one place for wine, then another for a bite. We eventually kissed. We walked some more. We flirted, we laughed. He texted me after we parted ways.

And -- he has texted a few times in the three days since that night, without making a suggestion of when we should see each other again. I'm trying really, really hard to leave this up to him, but I hate waiting.

I'm keeping in mind that despite a really fun night, and despite talks of next time, there's no guarantee that I'll see him again. That would be a bummer, but life would go on.

THIS sucks: even if I do see him again, sometime in the near future he's going to another country for a work project -- for a month.

Smooch update: the irony of Mr Cool telling me that he had this big international project coming up is that Smooch is also out of the country -- in his case, for three weeks. What's up with this?? Normally I'M the one leaving town!

As I mentioned last time, Smooch and I had a really fun second date. Then -- nothing for nearly a week, when he texted me that he'd been busy prepping for his trip, and he'd try to call me later. In the "Guys Are So Strange" department: Smooch called me one night, but didn't leave a message. I emailed him the next day, wishing him a good trip. He called the next night (when I happened to be out with Mr Cool) -- again, no message.

A very helpful reminder in this timely post by Moxie -- if he's not making much of an effort to get in contact, then he's not that interested. Period.

If he gets in touch when he's back in town, I'd be happy to see him again -- in the meantime, I'm not going to devote any mental energy towards him.

3 comments:

bella said...

It's so interesting how in all of these stories the common theme is: THE BUSINESS TRIP.

Someone is always leaving.

No matter the dating story, at some point, someone has a business trip that takes them away for a week, or two. Or three. You, or them.

It usually seems like it occurs right at the climactic moment of togetherness, and then it seems to throw the whole vibe off. And I always want to yell out, "Don't go!"

Haha, maybe we should introduce you to some artist-types. Or better yet, a teacher! They don't ever have business trips. And they get summers off...for real trips...that they can take WITH you.

:-)

Anonymous said...

My best friend met a guy through friends. After their third date, he had a business trip, for six weeks, to some war torn country in Outer Narnia. It was before all this big technology, and his employer gave him one phone call to the U.S. every week. Guess who he used his weekly call on?
They were engaged in six months and married the following summer.

Dark Cloud Nine said...

yeah... I don't think a month long trip is not the end of the world at all. I have heard a lot of very good stories starting like that. It actually gives time to the people to look into themselves and wonder what they are really looking for.