Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Date #150: Claudius Interruptus

A wise person once told me: the quickest way to get over someone is to get under someone else.

Ok -- I'm not rushing to get "under" anyone (or on top of him, etc) in the immediate future. But when I sensed that things were beginning to go downhill with Smiley this past weekend, I went into my Jdate archives and re-emailed a few guys with whom I'd previously lost contact.

One was Claudius -- name explanation will soon become apparent. His emails were funny and pleasant, and he was nice and smiley in the pics -- but in person, on tonight's date? I was considering blog-naming him Dour Dan, but I think Claudius Interruptus is more appropriate. I couldn't tell a fricking story without him interrupting me with his story. eg, he told me all about his marathon running, then asked if I'd ever run a marathon. I said I did a skate marathon, and before I could continue, he jumped in: "oh, I do roller hockey at Chelsea Piers, it's really different than ice hockey, blah blah blah".

And .. the Dour Dan name came from his negative take on just about everything: the false patriotism in this country since 9/11, he won't go to China because he heard they eat cats there, etc. "How can I go someplace that eats kittens?" I said they probably focus more on full-grown cats -- more meat. I don't think he found that very amusing.

Onward!

9 comments:

Marc said...

The world is full of Cladius Interruptuses. I think I've met most of them. It comes of as arrogant, but in reality, they're just insecure and need to be the focus of attention at all times. Certainly not good boyfriend material.

Dark Cloud Nine said...

That was funny. I would have laughed. And I am a vegetarian. Then again, my name is not Claudius.

Anonymous said...

I think you should just chill out and enjoy the next few days and not try to date again until Sunday. You need a break..I am taking one. Happy New Year.

Loverville said...

Actually, Anon -- I already have a few dates lined up for the weekend, but for a change, they're NOT internet dates...

I met one at a party -- we have mutual friends. And the other is a setup by a friend -- still waiting to see a pic of him, but I've been assured that he's good-looking.

I *have* been considering a break from dating... maybe next week...

Waitress from Mensa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Waitress from Mensa said...

Claudius Interrupti exist in almost shocking profusion. It is unfortunate that the combination of cluelessness, lack of basic interpersonal skiils, and arrogance exist in so many men. In just one example that mimics yours: a man chose to meet me specifically, he said, due to his interest in--and my avid pursuit of--bicycling. In response to his inquiry, I mentioned peripherally the name of a city that was the terminus of a long bicycle trip. Five words in, he interrupted to regale me with his trip there several years ago to watch a football game. He then gave me the once over, said I was not dressed nicely enough (tailored business casual coming right after work), expressed his distaste that a cyclist was not "more petite," and said, brutishly "I'm paying for your coffee, and I'm leaving."

Anonymous said...

Well, Waitress, I don't know whether it's because I've been reading these blogs for a while, but rudeness, weirdness, cluelessness, meanness etc. don't at all surprise me. I don't know whether it's the process that provokes these unfortunate behaviors or whether the online mechanism is screening in jerks.

--PT

Loverville said...

Waitress: yowza -- that IS crazy! What a douchebag! At least you didn't have to waste a single extra second on him.

I must admit, I've never met anyone quite *that* rude. One that came close: I used to work for a talk show, and my date (who knew BEFORE the date what I did for a living), asked how I could possibly sleep at night, knowing I was "ruining people's lives". I ended the date 5 minutes later.

CoatMan said...

Ohh dear. Pain. Much pain. Maybe there should be a dating site just for pessimists?