Saturday, February 6, 2010

Sunday weigh-in... Date #155... "karma is a bitch, and so am I!"

Sunday Weigh-in -- Week Two:
I'm a day early, but I'm not sure the scale will be so forgiving tomorrow. Today's numbers: 140.8 -- down 2.2 since last week, for a total of 3.2 lost! Yes!

True, part of that was because of a stomach bug that caused me to eat much less for a few days -- but I'll take it! Let's keep this train going!

********

Date #155 -- Dog Man:
Maybe because we'd "known" each other through Facebook for something like two years -- I just felt comfortable with him right away. He thoughtfully arranged for us to have dinner at a restaurant where his good friend is the chef -- oh my, way too much good food. I tried to restrain myself. Not easy!

After, we went to another spot for a drink, gradually sitting closer and closer. Eventually led to some sweet kisses -- not enough that we'd be implored to "get a room", but enough to know that we seem to have good kissing chemistry.

He emailed me a few days later, asking to make plans for this coming week. Looking forward to it -- he just "feels" like a good fit, for whatever that's worth.

*********

Mr 2010
I know -- pretty ridiculous that he's still being mentioned here. As I wrote last time, we were supposed to have plans on Sunday -- I texted him about 4 pm asking if we were still on, and he never responded.

A friend reminded me of the Sex and the City episode where Carrie was stood up by a guy, but he had a very good excuse: he died. I certainly wouldn't wish death on anyone, even someone who stood me up -- but out of curiosity, I just had to find out if this guy was dead, in the hospital, or in jail. After all, why else would he NOT call me back? (please see the sarcasm here!)

A few days later, I emailed him, asking if he was still alive, and to please give me the courtesy of a return email -- he didn't even have to call. Nothing.

The next day, I wrote to our mutual friend, D, and mentioned my concern. She was surprised, and said that was completely unlike him, even though he was sometimes flaky, and forgot plans previously made. She texted him at 7 that night, and when she didn't hear from him by 1 am, she started getting worried as well.

The next day she finally talked to him (without mentioning me): turned out he'd been hella-stressed with his divorce. He's been separated for about a year, and lately his ex-wife has been giving him a hard time about who-knows-what. (ha -- maybe he hasn't been returning her calls...)

My first thought was: that means you can't take 10 seconds to text someone to let them know you need to cancel your plans? Dillhole.

My second thought (with a slightly evil grin on my face): Good. I'm GLAD you're having a hard time with this. Karmic retribution sucks, doesn't it?

I’m glad to hear that he’s alive, but a little happy that he’s going through a rough time with his ex – karma’s a bitch, isn’t it? I know one has nothing to do with the other, but in my mind: dude, that’s your payback for standing me up. What goes around, comes around. I feel a lot better!

13 comments:

FierySaggGirl said...

Wonderful news on the weight loss. You must be feeling better every day. Okay, so you called the mutual friends and as odds would have it, he's alive! A few years back when someone I was seeing didn't respond after numerous attempts I did call the hospitals! I felt like an idiot but that's what unexplainable rude behavior does to a person. Busy is no excuse. They still have to eat, drive and pee and we know they can do all of that with one hand. You’re right, a 10 second text was all that was needed. On to better things and the Dog man. He's off to a good start because you were actually treated to a meal!

Lifebeginsat30ty said...

Yay for weight loss! What's your secret? I went to the gym 4 times this week, yay!

Awe, sounds like the Dog man thing is going well. Ex-cellent.

2010 needs to be kicked to the curb. Still being so upset by someone he has been separated for a year with? Not good, not good at all. Run!

mimi of sexagenarian and the city said...

Maybe it's my advanced age, but I don't feel the slightest bit guilty when I'm glad something bad has happened to someone who is unethical, unkind, or just plain vicious. I feel unashamedly glad.
So that's what I feel about 2010. And may the good news about the weight and the good vibes w. dog man continue.

Loverville said...

Part of the weight loss happened because of the stomach bug that I had -- NO appetite at all for about two days, which is so unlike me! I'm hoping that'll stick for a little while! (the lack of appetite, not the bug)

Also: I didn't go out to eat nearly as much as usual. And I worked out 4 days this week.

theperpetualspiral said...

Well done, you beat me this week. When I checked yesterday I was 2lbs down for the week.

2010 should definitely be kicked to the curb I think.

Anonymous said...

I'm confused. You're happy that Mr. 2010 had a "reason" to ignore your date, or you're happy that he's going through a hard time? Because the fact that he's going through a hard time isn't a reason to be rude. I guess my question is, considering all the cool dates you go on, why waste your energy on this dude? I mean, who cares?

Loverville said...

Spiral: nicely done! Keep it up!

Anon: no no -- in NO way am I forgiving or excusing his bad behavior. He's history. I was only reporting as much here.

Just got in from a very nice brunch date with a new guy. Details to come shortly!

*Juliette* said...

Love the title of this post! Glad to report that I have lost 6 lbs since Jan 1! Can't wait to hear more about Dog man.

Kate said...

I have to say standing someone up pretty much never acceptable and yes karma is getting him back! His going through a hard time isn't an excuse.

Kate xxx
http://secretofficeconfessions.blogspot.com

Mendoza Line said...

I've learned my lesson with guys going through divorce. Never again! Even when they are splitting up,it's too much drama. I had one guy complain that I didn't ask him enough about his divorce. Huh?

Oh, and just because I own the SATC box set: Miranda got 'stood up' by the dead guy. She met an ex of Carrie's ("Asshole") at the funeral, dated him and then also realized he was in fact, an "Asshole".

Nerding out!

Anonymous said...

Guyfriend is gone. TinyE is gone, too. :-( (sob) They didn't even say bye!

Please don't leave us without saying goodbye, Loverville!

Simone Grant said...

Some people are just rude and inconsiderate. Mr. 2010 seems to be one of those people. Lucky for you you have so many other good contenders to pick from.

Loverville said...

Mendoza: right -- Miranda, thanks! Did you recognize that the title of this blog is from a SATC reference...?

Anon: not going anywhere anytime soon!

Simone: shocker -- Mr 2010 emailed the other day! Details to come.