Monday, March 15, 2010

Best. First. Date. EVER!



I'm serious -- I write that with no sarcasm whatsoever. I really am smitten with this guy. (#161) I'm giddy and smiling and speechless -- it's a surreal feeling!

I'm at a loss for a blog name for him, so for now he'll simply be Bond -- James Bond. He IS kind of an international man of mystery -- and yet, he comes from humble NYC beginnings, just like me. His life has spanned many countries, and several careers that melded from one to the next.

Seriously, when he first told me about the very interesting life he's had, there was a part of me that was skeptical -- until I Googled him, and found the proof right there on the interweb. Good stuff indeed -- I really wish I could share it with you!

And even more important -- he's warm, and (from what I learned from a five-hour date and several phone convos) very communicative. He's straightforward. He's incredibly polite. And -- this doesn't hurt -- he's very, very easy on the eyes. To be blunt, he's hot. BUT I get the impression that he's the rare person who doesn't realize just how good-looking he is. Did I mention that he's a fabulous kisser? Icing on the cake.

AND he seems equally smitten by me, and by the end of the date he was telling me that he was excited to see where this could go. Really -- everything was perfect.

Except...

Except for the fact that I'm about to go on a business trip to another country for two fricking weeks!

Argh. This has happened to me a few times in the past, where I'd meet someone just before going out of town -- and a few times, by the time I'd return, the guy would be history for whatever reason.

So -- wish me luck. Bond said he looks forward to staying in touch, and we'll get together as soon as possible after my return. Sigh.

*******

And what of Hoffman, you ask? Despite the fact that he "couldn't wait" to see me again, I barely heard from him all week. We had a date planned for Saturday -- that morning he emailed and texted that he was under the weather, and had to cancel. He asked when I was going out of town, but didn't ask if I wanted to get together before then.

I admitted to myself then - I had been on the fence about him. If he'd seemed interested, I would have tried to come along for the ride. But since he's obviously not? No problem at all. I'd even contemplate setting him up with a friend (Shmutti, you reading?).

*******
In other news -- I went speed dating with a friend this weekend. I'm hoping to convince her to write a guest post -- stand by!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOORAY!!

I am hoping hoping hoping with bated breath that this guy comes through. You so totally deserve it. Fingers crossed!

--PT

Tuppence said...

I've got my fingers crossed for you! Hope this turns into something good.

mimi of sexagenarian and the city said...

I'm hoping....about him, and about your trip. Have a wonderful time.

Snafugirl said...

I'd love if you let me in on the secret of where to find the perfect man who comes from NYC roots? I'm 27 years and still searching!

Snafugirl
Snafuliving.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

try not to sleep with him or we will be reading in a few weeks how he has faded away

LuckyGirl said...

YAY!!! My fingers are crossed for you! I have a good feeling about this one. Travel safely and enjoy!
xxoo
LG

Dark Cloud Nine said...

aww that sounds so good about Bond... Don't be too nervous about the two week break. When it's good, it's good. Enjoy your time and come back happy.

The Girl said...

Yay!!! Fingers crossed!

theperpetualspiral said...

Great news about Bond. I'm betting the two weeks fly by and he's back before you know it.

marc said...

I'd love to hear what you and your friend have to say about speed dating. I did it a couple of times, but never got around to blogging about it.

Good luck with the new guy!

Short Stories for the Single Girl said...

Best First Date's are so hard to come by, so I hope the next 2 weeks go by like a flash. So far, Bond sounds like a cool laid-back lad.

Ruby said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome! I can't wait to hear more!! Those pesky business trips always happen at the wrong time. Perhaps you can tuck him into your luggage?? Bond will find a way. ;)

Tiia Jones said...

After over 240 first dates, I think you can always tell if it's going to work within the first three hours. Sounds like you have a winner. I enjoyed reading your blog and learning about Bond.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder, and all that. Maybe, if he really is "Bond-ish," he'll like the sense of mystery of having to live without you for a couple of weeks! Good luck! I'll keep reading with rapt attention.

Carly said...

I love it when you have an amazing first date with someone and can't stop thinking about them! That happened to me last week. Check out my blog www.carlysdatingchronicles.com

Dating said...

I've got my fingers crossed for you!

The Relationship Company said...

Good article keep posting this type of articles..............