Thursday, March 11, 2010

Blog fodder on a silver platter!

I talked to new Jdate guy last night -- let's call him Mr Sensitive for reasons that will soon become apparent. (I know, I know -- I claim to be on dating hiatus. I guess I'm taking a hiatus from that hiatus!)

We made a plan for Sunday night. I don't know why I agreed to go out with him -- I got a weird vibe about him. He only had one blurry pic on his profile, and was realllly reluctant to give me his real email address. When I'd ask him a question, he just seemed a bit scattered.

Today I decided to cancel, and wrote a very nice email:
My apologies -- I'm going to have to reschedule -- my mom is arranging a family dinner for Sunday night, and I really should go. I'm then leaving town on Tuesday for two weeks for work -- can we reschedule after I get back?

Sorry for any inconvenience!


True -- the thing about the family dinner was a little white lie, but I saw no harm in that.

He emailed back (verbatim):
We cannot, but an hour tomorrow is ok... Otherwise things get Too non-immediate and lose their flavor

Huh? Flavor....? And who said anything about tomorrow?

Before I had a chance to respond, he texted me (again, verbatim -- I can't make this shit up!):
Incredibly poor form (and clearly not my type person) to cancel a date via text. I rescind all date offers. Thank u.

For the record, I canceled via email, not text -- and I think that's absolutely acceptable -- especially when it's FOUR DAYS before said "date". Dude, I didn't cancel our WEDDING via email / text, for Christmas sakes!

I wrote back, being sweetly diplomatic:
Was just about to write back -- I agree. We're just not a match. However, thank you for the excellent blog material.

There you have it. On a silver platter, with a doily and some decorative flowers thrown in.

UPDATE: the next morning, he wrote back:
I couldnt be happier that we arent a match, as by definition, i'm a match for class, grace and beauty. Blog away!

I was tempted to write back to tell him to grow some balls, but by this point, we were like two kids on the playground, yelling, "YOU're stupid!"... "No, YOU're stupid!". Sometimes the best answer is just NO answer. I shall take the high road, and be done with it.

Unless of course, you have a fabulously witty retort -- comment away!

18 comments:

Dating Trooper said...

Oh my god that is too funny!! Taught you a lesson missy.....follow your instincts! )But glad you did't because that gave me a much needed laugh:-)

Dark Cloud Nine said...

dude has ISSUES

Plentymorefishoutofwater said...

Awesome post. You can't make stuff like this up. Didn't you arrange the date via text/email? If so, why can't you cancel it that way...?
*Plentymorefishoutofwater - One Man's Dating Diary*

Loverville said...

DT: lesson learned!

Cloud: true, that!

Fish: No, we arranged it by phone. Ha -- wait til the next girl cancels on him by just disappearing altogether! Then he'll realize I was Miss Manners by comparison.

Anonymous said...

Hilarious!

Sadly, he'll never realize anything. You made the right call to just give up the petty back and forth but thank you for the laugh!

I would be tempted to start emailing him from alias accounts or something incredibly juvenile, just for the entertainment!

Lifebeginsat30ty said...

Addendum to Dark Cloud Nine: an entire magazine rack!

You obviously touched a sore spot. Like his personality.

cleanslate2010 said...

maybe we could set him up with the guy that dumped me over email for being too emotionally mature! they could be really good matches for each other!

Anonymous said...

This is a SCREAM!!

If you got a weird vibe in the first place and don't know why you agreed to go out with him, I would encourage you to heed your instincts. Next time, don't agree at all.

What a freakshow!

--PT

marc said...

Poor little Jew is just lashing out to try and make you feel as bad as he does. You're probably not the first woman to cancel on him and he just needed someone to shit on.

Short Stories for the Single Girl said...

"Blog away" = what a loser. And he might be gay anyways. So, it's not even a loss.

mimi of sexagenarian and the city said...

This is wonderful. No, you couldn't make this up. You definitely owed him thanks for being such great Material.

Anonymous said...

Dear L...ville,
Why don't we all chip in and give this guy some minutes with a healthcare professional. I know you drive men crazy...but this is ridiculous.

Funny Guy

Jessica said...

Just another reason why JDate sucks ass! Thank goodness you didn't actually have to go on a date with that weirdo...your instincts were right about him from the beginning. Yuck!

Anonymous said...

Hate to say it, but I kind of agree with the guy... you obviously were reconsidering... why not tell him so and be honest... isn't that what women claim to want.

cleanslate2010 said...

i love texting fights with people you've never met!

online dating is the BEST!

theperpetualspiral said...

Christ, what a complete knob jockey.

Excellent blogging fodder though!

Lost said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lost said...

Oops. Sorry about the comment removal. I clicked something wrong. :P

Wow. What a jerk. Really? He just couldn't let it go? I see why he thinks he wants someone classy, clearly he needs classy lessons.

Seriously, what is WRONG with people? You know that telling him you are going to blog about it is probably killing him. LMAO! I love it!

I might need to use that line if I meet another jerk. Especially if another one asks why my english is so good!