Friday, April 30, 2010

Adventures in Speed Dating, II

I wasn’t very impressed with the selection of guys. There was the Low Talker, the Sloucher, the Chubby Kosher Guy.

Then there was Rico Suave – he didn’t exactly come off as a smooth operator, but we immediately hit it off. Funny, a little goofy, vivacious. He said I was a breath of fresh air. The six minutes flew by, and after our “date” it was time for a fifteen-minute break. He bought me a drink, we ate mini burgers together and simply enjoyed each other’s company until it was time to return to “date” the others.

The rest of the dates were duds compared to the colorful Rico. After the event ended, a few of us wound up back in the bar area, until he and I gradually found our own corner. My friends left one by one. He asked if I’d like to get another drink elsewhere – I said I’d be delighted. Or something a little less corny than that.

I don’t spend that much time in that part of the city, so when we walked past the Plaza Hotel fountain, I said we had to stop to admire it for a minute. He then confessed that he'd wanted to kiss me back in the bar – I said this would actually be a much better place for that. He remarked that it was a lovely, cinematic moment, and we kissed.

We went to a nearby bar for another drink. Earlier we’d started with wine, and had moved onto Manhattans. Hm, this could be dangerous. We talked, we smooched, we flirted. And before we knew it, it was 1:30 am, and definitely time to go home.

He insisted – he had to know when he could see me again. How about next Monday? A restaurant he really liked had a special event going on -- once he’d learned that I was a bit of a foodie, he knew instantly that he had to take me there. Nice – I like a man with some good city knowledge in his back pocket.

He texted me as soon as he got home, and for the next two days we exchanged texts, emails and (in his case) a phone message. He said he’d been thinking about me. He didn’t want to wait until Monday to see me.

At some point during the post speed-dating “date”, he mentioned that he thought my friends were really cool, and maybe he could set them up with some of his friends. He also volunteered the information that he was planning on choosing only me via the online matching system of the speed dating organizers. Aw, nice.

This morning, my friend Rita emailed me (we hadn’t spoken since the event):

We probably should have anticipated that there'd be ONE great guy at that speed dating thing, and we'd all want to at least see if it's a "match." I could see you liked Rico -- knowing my personality is more reserved I'm not sure if you could tell I liked him too.

Just wanted to let you know he asked if he could call me, and I gave him my number. Of course that could lead to nothing, as it usually does, or friendship or whatever, but I wouldn't want to keep that info from you. Not sure what we should do going forward--want to feel it out and see how it goes?


TO BE CONTINUED...

8 comments:

Lifebeginsat30ty said...

Note to guys on speed-dating: checking all of the boxes only works if the women aren't friends and will blab to one another. Jesus: what a moron!

Anonymous said...

I THINK GOING TO SPEED DATING IS WEIRD

Megs said...

What did you say to your friend? I agree with Lifebeginsat30ty did he not realize you two were friends. Also not so great that he said he wasn't going to match with anyone else. This puts both you and your friend in a rather strange position. Something to think about when going to speed dating with friends.

Anonymous said...

Grammar Police!

"He was only planning on choosing me via the online matching system..."

You mean:

"He was planning on choosing ONLY me via the online matching system..."

ONLY goes just before the word it modifies. The only exception: "I only have eyes for you."

--PT

mimi of sexagenarian and the city said...

A real cliff-hanger!!

I don't know if it's the life or the blog that has stopped at this point, but I'm eager to see what came / comes next: did both women decide he was a two-timer and drop him at once? or did both women, or one, decide no promises had been exchanged and he was acting within the bounds of the ethical?

I'll tune in to see what happened next.

Loverville said...

30: OH yes!

Anon: You're right! It's just not natural! Maybe that's why we do it...

Megs: Oh, he knew we were friends! More to come...

PT: thank you! I stand corrected. The Grammar Police are welcome to visit any time.

Mimi: oh, you'll see! Will try to write the rest later today.

Lost said...

This is unbelievable. It's also kinda brilliant. I can't wait to read the next installment. This is priceless blogging!

I hope he doesn't turn out to be a player-pitching-friends-against-each-other-douche.

Rebecca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.