Friday, July 2, 2010

Jon Hamm: stop and go

After I last wrote, I went on a business trip for nearly a week. Jon Hamm and I had plans to get together upon my return, which he had to cancel because he wasn't feeling well. Plans made a few days later were canceled as well. In the meantime, I felt that his warm, sweet emails were tapering off.

I was disappointed, but tried not to dwell on it -- I knew that I simply had to wait until I saw him again to get an idea of his level of interest -- and I had to give him an extra dose of leeway because he hasn't been well lately.

In the meantime, I thought that maybe I'd start dating other guys again. He and I haven't discussed exclusivity -- it's way too soon -- but after our first date, I just wanted to get to know him more, and take a break from the dating merry-go-round.

On our next date -- nearly two weeks after we'd previously seen each other -- he greeted me with a big hug and a sexy, warm kiss hello. He still *seemed* interested -- but I felt a little off, perhaps a result of the longer-than-usual time between seeing each other. I just needed to get a feel for him all over again. That *off* feeling stayed with me most of the evening.

The next day, I had a busy day at work, which I'd anticipated, and had told him about the night before. That night, he called. Just to say "hi", and ask about my day. And, just like that, I felt that I got my groove back with him -- something about that call just made me feel warm and fuzzy.

His thoughtful emails have resumed -- they're not treacly, more of the vein of "here's that link to that thing we talked about the other night". There's an occasional "can't wait to see you again". Our last date was a few days ago -- a mellow night with a few drinks. And now, I'm about to go out of town for the holiday weekend -- we have plans to see each other early next week, if he's feeling up to it.

Some *good* news: it seems that he may have a diagnosis for this malady that's been giving him a lot of discomfort (and often pain) these past few weeks. Fingers crossed!

I mentioned that last week I was contemplating dating other guys -- I think I'm going to shelve that thought for now. One, I'm too busy with work right now... and two, I really like Jon Hamm, and it seems that he likes me as well. For what it's worth: I noticed that he hasn't logged onto the dating site in about 3 weeks. That doesn't necessarily mean anything, but still made me smile.

Ha -- in the meantime -- lately, there's been a pattern emerging of guys from my past popping up. Smiley sometimes texts, asking if I'm free for a drink -- it's always last minute, and never good timing. Hoffman (from about 4 months ago) recently got back in touch -- I told him I'm seeing someone. Smooch (with whom I had maybe 3 dates over a period of 4 months) recently got back in touch. Must be this warm weather!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

LUV, has he ever been married?

--PT

Anonymous said...

I vote for not dating any other guys! He sounds like a good guy, and you are both into each other. There's enough distractions what with work and summer fun, no need to waste time and energy on the treadmill of dating other guys. Stick with him for now and be patient - it's sounding hopeful!

Lifebeginsat30ty said...

I agree with anonymous: this sounds promising! He could have just been feeling sick or had some other distraction. Sometimes people are just off. I know I can be! I think that should be the fun part of getting to know someone. But in those early stages, those sudden changes in behavior can be worrisome. Eck! Good luck :)

Loverville said...

PT: nope, he's never been married -- but he's been in a few long-term relationships where they lived together.

Anon / Life: the usual "we'll see" applies. I hate having to be patient, though I know it must be done!

Anonymous said...

I am not sure he is 100% into you but you should wait and see and not date anyone now.

Something She Dated said...

I like it! I'd agree with you on the not dating other people though more for the being busy with work than how good it is with Jon...but either way same result...I'll be waiting on the edge of my seat :P

Anonymous said...

The fact that he is unmarried in his early 40s is of concern. I never know what to make of that.
--PT

Loverville said...

re: the "never married" thing -- I'm not concerned about that. Is it better for a guy to have had a marriage that failed, than never to have been married? I think it holds no relevance to whether or not he can commit now.

Anyway... it's too early to worry about this sort of thing with Jon Hamm. Update to come soon...

Dating said...

Into you but you should wait and see and not date anyone now.