Monday, August 16, 2010

"A little fat".

Holy cow. It is really time to get my act together, and get my (growing) ass back to Weight Watchers.

I gained some weight during a few delicious international trips earlier this year, and have yet to take it off. That, combined with the fact that I've been having a fun, decadent summer complete with food-and-wine-filled beach excursions hasn't helped. My weight is way up, and I'm not happy about it.

I'm 5'4" -- my "I can live with this" maximum weight is about 140. Lately, I've been hovering about 145 - 149. I keep meaning to lose the weight, but have just been lazy and unmotivated to do so. Until today.

Today, I was in my local grocery store, chatting with the older neighborhood Italian guy who sometimes hangs out there. I understand basic Italian, and mentioned the fact that the store was out of skim milk, so I was buying 1%. He mentioned that I was "un grasso poco" -- a little fat.

I was rendered speechless. It's one thing for ME to think I'm carrying a few extra pounds, but for someone else to mention it? Ouch.

[It only occurred to me just now that maybe he was referring to the milk as having just "a little fat", and not me. Regardless, I need to take action.]

It's high time for me to nip this in the bud, and do some healthy food shopping, start cooking more and eating out less (I have a pile of Cooking Light magazines and Weight Watcher cookbooks), and amp up the exercise. Going to Weight Watcher meetings helps to keep me in check -- I haven't been to any since earlier this year, and must start again. I really have to cut down on eating out of boredom, as well as excessive snacking.

I've mentioned my weight concerns to Jon Hamm -- he thinks I'm beautiful just the way I am, and feels that I don't need to lose an ounce. I absolutely appreciate this, but right now I'm not feeling comfortable in my own skin, and need to do something about it.

I've done this in the past, where I've lost 10 lbs in 10 weeks. I'm going to shoot for Sunday or Monday weigh-ins. Next Sunday, Aug 22, will be the end of week one, and so on. At this rate, I should be down 10 lbs by Halloween. I'd like to lose more than that, but that's a start right now.

Anyone else care to join in the challenge?

5 comments:

mimi of sexagenarian and the city said...

oh god, i've been there...

first: don't mention to yr bf that you think you're fat. always act as if you think you're lovely. you don't want to put ideas in his head.

second: because i'm hypothyroid, i'm on a perpetual diet. here's what i think is delicious diet food: 1) FAGE (brand) *non-fat* plain yogurt, with fresh blueberries (or strawberries....) and one T sugar; it tastes like a dessert 2) salad with a hard-boiled egg; make it interesting by adding lightly browned fresh mushrooms to 3 kinds of lettuce, along w. the egg; make the dressing yrself, olive oil + lemon juice + mustard 3) fresh scallops w. lemon juice and olive oil; 4) salmon, almost any kind, with lemon juice (no thick sauces). Cut the carbs, almost totally, and absolutely cut the meat, except for very nice sliced roasted turkey (get it at Citarella's).

anyway, as an experienced dieter, you won't find this news, but the foods above at the very least prevent me from gaining weight...

good luck. bet you can get down to 135 if you eat as per my list....

Loverville said...

Mimi, thanks for the tips!

And normally, I'm a BIG believer in only promoting myself positively with a new guy -- in this case, I think it came up that I was going back to WW, and he said it was unnecessary. I'm going to proceed without fanfare.

Mendoza Line said...

I've got one word for you: BEANS

Tiia Jones said...

I was going with, it was the milk he was talking about. So no diet tips here!

Seriously, good luck if that's what you want to do but I don't think you sound like you're horribly obese! Having a great summer with wonderful food and company will probably be what you remember most when all is said and done.

healy said...

It's just a fat. . .you can feel good by loving yourself more. You do have a BF and it's very obvious that he loves you no matter what. What matters is your love for him, for each other. Just remember that, what you gain can be lost. Fat can be burn out, stat motivated.