Monday, February 14, 2011

I really really really want to kiss this guy.

Went to a fun dinner party with the wonderful, amazing Lucky Girl tonight. Always a great time, these dinner parties. Ridiculously good food, friendly people, wine flowing like oxygen.

And I ran into this guy there -- let's call him Beach Boy, til I come up with a more creative name. I met BB last summer, when I started going to his beach house on occasional weekends. We realized we had lots of friends in common, from random locations -- I worked with his junior high friend, and so on. And from the start, I sensed that there may have been a bit of a connection, and maybe he was a bit flirty... then a friend told me that he just tends to be flirty with lots of women.

Shortly after, I started seeing Jon Hamm, and soon paid no mind to other guys. I also heard that BB had a policy of not dating women in his house -- smart man. Over the winter, I found that that after the summer, he started dating someone from the house -- well, so much for that rule, but whatever. Good for them.

A few weeks ago, I saw BB when we got together so I could give him my payment for the beach house for this summer -- nice to see him, but it was all business. Mostly. As always, he gave me a big, close hug goodbye. Mmm, I like his hugs.

So -- tonight. It was a pleasant surprise to see him at tonight's dinner party. I typically enjoy mingling at these parties, meeting new people, but also was enjoying just talking to *him* for a while. Only a minute or so after we started talking, he mentioned: "I don't know if you heard about me and E" (the woman he'd been dating). I said, "you mean that you're dating, right?". He said: "well, actually, that we broke up". I mentioned that Jon Hamm and I had also broken up.

At the dinner, we sat next to each other. There may have been some brushing of legs against each other. There may have been some sitting closer than was really necessary. I might have fed him some pâté.

Things seemed to cool when we walked to the subway together with Lucky. Back to normal, back to as it "should" be. But the second he left, I just *had* to tell Lucky about this tension, this buildup. I really wanted to kiss this guy. And Lucky said she got the feeling that he wanted to kiss me as well.

Most likely, nothing will happen here. I'm better off NOT having anything happen. If we started fooling around and / or dating, and broke it off by the summer... well, that would be really awkward to constantly see him in his house. And even if we DID date into the summer... well, that could be awkward as well.

It's probably better to just let this flirty tension hang in the air. To just enjoy the way he smiles at me. The big hugs he gives me when we say "hello" and "goodbye". And NOT imagine the excitement of that first kiss...

Oy.

3 comments:

Lifebeginsat30ty said...

OR you could kiss him, it leads to something fabulous, and you have a summer of lovin' at the beach house ;)

Loverville said...

30ty: sigh - while that sounds like a great idea, my gut is just telling me otherwise! I'll just have to enjoy the building tension... !

simplysolo said...

I agree with Lifebeginsat30ty! Or, you guys could try it, and it not work, but still not be awkward. It doesn't always have to end badly! Either way, I'm reading with baited breath!