Monday, August 29, 2011

Goodbye Dorian, hello Storm.

Wow, I can't believe I haven't written in over a month! Bad, lazy Loverville.

Part of the delay is because I was on the fence about Dorian, and it just didn't feel right to put it "out there" until I had sorted it out. Long story short -- I ended it with him, just short of two months after our first date.

I ended it for a number of reasons -- simply put, I wasn't feeling the kind of chemistry one *should* feel for someone in the early days of dating. I felt that I was dating him just for the sake of having that companionship with someone -- anyone. That really wasn't fair to him.

Since then, I've been out with two new guys -- both fun first dates. The second date with one of them was last night -- during the hurricane. For that reason, let's call him Storm. (date #195)

Storm and I went out earlier in the week -- a fun, easy date with some smooching towards the end. He texted me yesterday, checking on me in advance of Hurricane Irene, asking if I was evacuating. I wrote that I was staying local, and was planning a small dinner party with some friends - after contemplating it a bit, I thought -- why not invite him? So I did, and he accepted. (he's a ten-minute walk from me).

He came by, and brought an excellent wine -- nicely done. He hit it off with my friends. Most of my friends left on the early side to avoid the worst of the weather, except one -- we'd already made plans for her to spend the night since she lives in a Zone A evacuation zone. Storm stayed on the later side, and by then, the rain was coming down with a vengeance. Normally I wouldn't have a guy spend the night on a second date, but you know -- different rules apply in a hurricane.

Zone A friend crashed early -- I told her to take my bed. Storm and I later slept on my pull-out couch. Some smooching, not much more.

Zone A told me the next day that she felt terrible for "crashing" my date (she's overly polite) -- I thought it was actually a good thing that she was there -- it probably helped to put the brakes on any potential too-soon sexy activity with Storm, even though Zone was in another room, with the door closed.

In general, right now I'm not feeling especially motivated to date these days. I'm pretty busy with other social events. Maybe that's a good thing. I'm not exactly focused on meeting "the one". These days it's more about me -- I've been exercising a lot more lately, and have lost a few pounds. (yay!) If I meet someone amazing, that's great. If not? I still plan to have a good time along the way.



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey LUV,
I would say that your lack of motivation is burnout. Nearly 200 dates? How exhausting and discouraging. Glad the hurricane intervened in a good way. Keep on keepin' on.
--PT

Loverville said...

hey PT,

Nice to see you here again!

The 200 dates has been over a span of about 6 1/2 years -- which averages to one every other week. Doesn't seem like so much when you put it that way.

Maybe burnout, or maybe I'm just more interested in myself than anyone else at the moment. Eh, either way, I'm not complaining.

Dating Trooper said...

Good - who wants a boyfriend when DT comes to town anyway?!

Anonymous said...

Loverville, I am so impressed with your record number of dates! And I love how you name them. Storm... that rocks!
xoxo RomanticComedyGirl

Romantic Comedy Girl said...

ps. Storm reminds me of that show Gladiators there was a big guy on there named Storm, so I'm imagining a romance cover kind of guy

Ajlounyinjurylaw said...

I thought your content would talk about the impending Hurricane but instead it was about relationships which I found very refresshing.

domsuccess said...

are u really serious about the 200dates i think that should be in the Guinness Book,well anyways it is great to know,keep on searching.you can always check out my blog http://avoiddatingbadboys.wordpress.com/ for some dating advice anytime.

Judy said...

An old flame / hook up offered to put me up during the hurricane, which begs the question: if some offers housing during a crises, is he expecting...... Tempting as it was, I turn down the offer.

Scent of Eros said...

I want to say many thanks for an fascinating website about a subject I have had an interest in for a while now. I have been checking in and reading through the comments avidly so just wanted to express my thanks for delivering me with some very informative reading material. I look forward to more, and taking a more active part in the talks here, whilst picking up some information too!!

Ruby said...

You've got the right attitude! Still, any update on Storm?

I'm also on a weight loss jag--here's to renewed fabulousness!

Cadence Harper said...

I am right where you're at... It'll happen when it happens. I've also dated people for companionship, despite a lack of chemistry. I've got to watch myself. I hate it when I do that!

Love your stuff. It's great to read someone else in the same emotional place. Lets me know I'm not alone.